Monday, July 20, 2009

Failures

Well, by the time you are reading this, I am officially in Africa. (I wrote several posts early and set them to be posted while I am away since I won't have access to my blog from Africa.)

We have been here for three days now. And by now, I'm sure that we have made several mistakes, a variety of things have gone according to plan, and we are making some things up as we go. But sometimes those speedbumps, and how we react to them tell us more about our selves than the things that go well.

I recently was reminded of when I went to Army Airborne school. I was in college and In ROTC at the time. I was in the best shape of my life, and was thrilled at finally being given one of the coveted spots to Airborne school. Then, once I got there, I failed out.

Before they sent me home, they called me into the office to explain what I had done wrong, and figure out if I wanted to be start over again with the next batch of people coming in or if I wanted to go home. Starting over again wasn't an option because of my school schedule so I had to go home. So I listened as the Sgt told me what I had done wrong. I fell behind in two runs, that meant I got sent home. As the Sgt explained that to me he also said, "You physically are able to complete all the tasks you need to in order to complete Airborne training. You just don't want it bad enough."

I pondered that the whole way home. I thought being airborne qualified was what I wanted more than anything. So how could I not want it bad enough? And if I didn't want that bad enough, then what did I want bad enough? What did I want even more than being airborne qualified? It was that experience that helped me discern my call to ministry. My failure at airborne school was more helpful in discerning that than just about any of the success I had in other areas of my life.

What things have you failed at recently? What did you learn about your self? Is God trying to get your attention through that event?

No comments:

Post a Comment