Thursday, January 29, 2009

I just wanna live until I die

I was driving home from a meeting today with the radio playing. I wasn't really listening, sorta lost in my own thoughts when I heard a line from a song that caught my attention. In a thick country twang, a voice sang, "I just want to live until I die." I have no clue who sings it or what the rest of the song was about but that one line got me thinking: How many of us stop living long before we actually die? And what does it really mean to be alive? Is it just a matter of eating and breathing? Is it a matter of functioning mental capacities? Is it a matter of being happy? Is it about being in relationship with our family? What is it that makes us truly alive?

When I think of someone who's really alive, I think of someone who has a clear purpose in life, someone who makes intentional choices about what they are not going to do as much as they decide what they are going to do. I think of someone who is willing to risk trying new things. I think of someone who has an understanding that we are called to community and is intentional about developing their relationships with other people. But I still think there's something missing in that description.

What do you think is "living until I die"? If you know what the name of the song is or who sings it feel free to include that too.

2 comments:

  1. You know, I spend all week wishing I could get into conversation about heavy topics, but every time i get ready to post a response here I either have to post anonymously or censor myself into oblivion, such is the internet to me. Just want you to know that people do read.

    Oh, and the song is probably "Live until I die" by Clay Walker:
    http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/walker-clay/live-until-i-die-9542.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jared,

    Don't worry about posting anonymously or censuring yourself. Just post what you think and feel. True relationships and meaningful discussions don't happen without us making ourselves a little bit vulnerable. If that's too risky right now, then just post anonymously, it may still spark a fun conversation.

    ReplyDelete