Thursday, December 20, 2007

Nothing to Do - Part 2

Well I haven't done very well at doing absolutely nothing for 10 minutes each day of advent. In fact, I did not manage to do it for even one day. But I did find moments of stillness. Moments like sitting in Bible Study, abandoning the topic for the night, and just catching up with friends. All of us telling stories and taking a moment to belly laugh. It was nice to spend some time actually being present with people rather than rushing to accomplish one task or another.

Or like the few moments I steal in the morning as I walk my dog and play fetch with her. In all her puppy energy she bounds all over, trying to sniff every inch of surface area we walk. Each morning she reminds me that the simplest guestures can be the most meaningful. And each morning simply being near her helps to calm my mind and ease my stress.

I guess what I needed this advent season was not nothing to do but stillness.

How are your advent preparations going?

1 comment:

  1. I haven't had any success at sitting quietly for 10 minutes either:) I like the idea, but I find myself thinking about the things I should be doing instead. I have found it relaxing to listen to Christmas music when the opportunity presents itself. It's nice to sit back and enjoy this time of year.

    ReplyDelete